David Bickley's Wargames Blog

The occasional ramblings of an average gamer, journeyman painter, indifferent modeller, games designer, sometime writer for Wargames Illustrated and host of games in GHQ.



Wednesday 5 July 2017

Two VBCW actions from GHQ

Over the past few days I've been rather spoilt for choice of games. On Wednesday I played another game against Jon in our ongoing VBCW story set around Wolverhampton and South Staffordshire, while on the day before I'd been over to Sheldon in Birmingham as a guest of an old chum and dabbled my toes in a British Intervention in the USA of 1863-5, a game which sadly petered out without a clear result. Next week, Phil and Di are away celebrating their Wedding Anniversary, but on Thursday I'm staging a rerun of the VBCW for a new acquaintance, Derek, a fellow retired teacher. Three scenes from the VBCW game against Jon, a win for the forces of reaction sadly ~






































On the painting front I've had a bit of a burst, finishing 5 Ghurkas from Warlord for my Burma '43 game; 4 BEF Command figures from Warlord; a Blacker Bombard set from Warlord also; the Partizan free figure from May; the 3 new character figures from Footsore, along with 4 more rifle armed figures; and lastly, a 1st Corps ACW negro camp servant with a scenic tree & bird from Warbases! I've got 4 Footsore British Militia & 4 Workers' Militia on the go and the new Warlord LDV Section are ready to start after those! I'm hoping to visit the Barrage Show in Stafford on Sunday, so perhaps The Lead Pimple will be expanding again!

12 comments:

  1. That advance looks like a bit of a steamroller. How many turns?
    Good advance on the painting front too, see you on the on the 17th in sunny 19thC Espana, Viva el Christo Rey!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Was a bit outgunned after a promising few opening moves - the Red Dice of Doom of course! See you on 17/7.

      Delete
    2. It was a really good game. The sequence dice certainly favoured Mr.B's troops but then his shooting dice were terrible apart from the mortars. The rest couldn't hit the proverbial barn door! My boys just kept plodding on ....

      Delete
    3. Thank you for the thrashing! The Red Dice of Death did for me in the end!

      Delete
  2. Another period I could easily be tempted to jump into with two feet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do jump in, you will have fun. Scottish Expeditionary Force perhaps?

      Delete
  3. Lovely looking scenery as always, eclectic painting sounds good too.
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Iain, enjoying painting at the mo.

      Delete
  4. As expected a beautiful looking table!

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We try not to disappoint Christopher.

      Delete
  5. Great stuff. I love your table.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Irqan, I quite like it myself.

      Delete