David Bickley's Wargames Blog

The occasional ramblings of an average gamer, journeyman painter, indifferent modeller, games designer, sometime writer for Wargames Illustrated and host of games in GHQ.



Monday 10 April 2017

Bob a Job Week?

A few additions to my VBCW in Wolverhampton & South Staffordshire have made it across the painting desk and into GHQ, starting with these 1st Corps Scout Troop figures which I picked up at WMMS last month you may recall. Searching the web for information on the colours was interesting, didn't realise there was so much variation around. I settled on a colour scheme from illustrations on chocolate  and cigarette collectors cards as most contemporary photographs were obviously monochrome. The figures, or rather some of them, come with a selection of right hands holding various items of equipment suitable to Scouting in 1930's. I replaced three of these with very unscoutlike weapons, adding a greenstuff hand in one case. Well, it is the VBCW! Anyway, here are the 4th Wolverhampton Scouts in 1938 ~











Next, at last year's Derby Worlds I bought a selection of Footsore Miniatures figures on the Flea Market which included a few colour bearers. As I had two left over I painted one up for each side, the Workers' Defence Committee and a Personal Standard for Eddie VIII. The former has a flag provided for me by Pete Barfield as ever, the latter a commercial flag gifted by a chum. Here they are anyway ~























Next, a Christmas gift from Phil, an armoured truck conversion. As its the only one I have at present it has no detailing for any particular faction of my Peoples Republic of. Wolverhampton army, if I add others then I'll decorate it for the Boulton Paul Workers Cooperative. Why? Well they produced powered turrets for British bombers in WWII, so its appropriate given the vehicle's turret I feel ~






















I was in town on Friday last week quite by chance and found the monthly Farmers' Market in full cry. Amongst all the foodie stuff there were two chaps with a stall selling diecast vehicles, Lledo, Days Gone By, Corgi and such. I picked up three more vehicles for my VBCW project at £1 each ~











I'm hoping to add an airfield to the game this year, as we live on what was Wolverhampton Airport from 1938, hence the RAF vehicle. Lucas Batteries were in Birmingham, but they probably had customers amongst the local cycle, motorcycle and car manufacturers. Still no joy on the Wolverhampton Corporation bus though. Lastly, a Pulp Figures 'Poirot' who will be added to the game as Head of 'Manders Intelligence', MI9 ~


















I'm working now slowly on some Empress Miniatures AZW horse holder sets, one each for the Boers and the British Mounted Infantry. More on them when they are done.

14 comments:

  1. A veritable VBCW cornucopia, looking forward to the next outing in the environs of Wulverhompton.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the Scouts. 7th Welling (Falconwood) wore dark green shirts with a khaki neckerchief and dark blue corduroy shorts :)
    I think I saw one of those Lledo vans in E&S livery in the shop at the bottom of Salop St. near Wolvo market the other day.
    The armoured cars are on eBay as a kit utilising a Lledo van. I bought three to mechanise my Doghra Dragoons which are nowhere near ready as horsemen.
    This is a good hobby for folk who like shiny stuff, isn't it? I wish I had taken it up years ago :0)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Collectors Shop in town has been a useful source, but sadly not even he has seen the corporation bus.

      Delete
    2. Which firm makes the Wolvo Corpo bus model?

      Delete
  3. Nice! Have you considered a tram rather than a bus?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh trams, now you're talking! Lovely selection scouts, trucks and armoured cars oh my!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steady, Iain, too much excitement can be dangerous!

      Delete
  5. Great selection of vehicles for the price.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed George, the price appealed to my inner Jock!

      Delete
  6. Nice stuff........love the scouts can't quite see but are any of them armed with mini catapults ? Will look out for these 🙂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No catapults! Shotguns, staves, a shovel and a monkey wrench!

      Delete